Lisronagh (Co. Tipperary / South)
Lisronagh (Lios Ruanach) is a small village that experienced something of a renaissance during the Celtic Tiger years with new housing estates and the development of the Slievenamon Golf Course.
Lisronagh Castle is an atmospherically ivy-clad medieval Tower House ruin with a fine mural stairway and a fragmentary murder hole, next door to a derelict C19th church, presumably Anglican.
The church of St John the Baptist (RC) was constructed in 1831.
The Lisronagh Point-to Point takes place annually on land leased by the Tipperary Foxhounds.
A beautiful photo of a nearby lake can be viewed here.
Lisronagh is close to Clonmel.
Donaghmore / Donoughmore church is a remnant of a monastic settlement located on a site supposedly visited by Saint Patrick.
The most famous abbot / bishop of Donoughmore was Saint Farannan, who in obedience to a dream exiled himself to the Continent, became the superior of Waulsort Abbey near Waser on the River Meuse and died in 982 AD.
The ruin visible today comprises a nave and chancel with a finely ornamented arch. The gables are unusually complete; the upper portions of the north and south walls were probably restored in the C16th. The west doorway has good Romanesque decoration, with a hood above it, and is said to have contained a tympanum depicting a cat with two tails (probably a lion).
New Inn & Knockgraffon (Co. Tipperary / South)
A local legend holds that the Gaelic name refers to a great battle fought in the area in antiquity or during the early medieval period, when the heads of the vanquished warriors were severed and cast into a lake.
Rockwell College, a prestigious private secondary boarding school for boys, was founded in 1864 by the Holy Ghost Fathers. Pupils have gone on to become leading politicians, ambassadors, judges, barristers, doctors, academics, businessmen, rugby and golf players
The mansion, once used as a hunting lodge by the Marquess of Waterford, was formerly the home of John Roe, for whom Dorothea Herbert, the Carrick-on-Suir author of Retrospections, had an unrequitted passion.
The school is surrounded by 150 acres of wooded grounds and farmland, including floodlit sports pitches, tennis courts, a golf course and a large lake. The estate is the venue for popular annual Summer Camps.
New Inn is linked by the R687 to Clonmel and the L3121 road to Golden on ByRoute 5.
Knockgraffon (Cnoc Rafann), a rural locality with a ruined medieval church and graveyard, was once larger than now, as attested by the 1610 appointment of the great historian Geoffrey Keating as parish priest. The village was abandoned some time in the C18th.
Knockgraffon Motte is a man-made earthen mound, not yet archaeologically investigated despite being a National Monument. (Photo by Sarah777)
Some say it was the sacred location for the coronation of the Kings of Munster before Cashel took over this role, while others claim it was the primary residence of the chiefs of the local O’Sullivan clan; in 1998 an Irish-American man called Sullivan “rescued” it from over 800 years in the hands of “foreigners”.
Its most likely origin is in fact as a classic C12th Norman defensive motte, probably erected by Philip de Worcester; it would originally have had a wooden bailey structure on the summit.
It is well worth climbing to appreciate views of Slievenamon, the Galtee, Knockmealdown and Comeragh Mountains, and the River Suir winding through the countryside.