The Eastern Districts take in Belfield, Clonskeagh, Mount Merrion, Kilmacud, Stillorgan, Dean’s Grange, Cabinteely,
Clonskeagh / Clonskea (Cluain Sceach – “meadow of the whitethorn”), is a suburb straddling the River Dodder.
Whilst located fully within the traditional County Dublin, Clonskeagh lies partially within the administrative area of Dublin City Council but mostly in that of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. Roebuck Road defines the southernmost end of Clonskeagh; this area is sometimes known as Roebuck and occasionally considered to be part of Windy Arbour. However, most residents of Roebuck consider themselves to live in Clonskeagh. The area is principally defined by the Clonskeagh Road and its extension into Roebuck Road, which spans its length. The northern end of the Clonskeagh Road at the junction with Eglinton Road / Milltown Road separates it from Ranelagh to the north, and the campus of University College Dublin at Belfield is to the east while Goatstown and Dundrum lie to the south. To the west is Windy Arbour, but there is no clear point at which the border might be defined.
Clonskeagh is primarily a residential area, developed in the early decades of the 20th century. It has a small village green with a few local shops, but without a main centre. The district has changed in character as population growth in greater Dublin has imposed increasingly intensive use of land and the nearby Luas light railway has improved commuter access to central Dublin.
In the mid-1970s, Clonskeagh consisted of low-density housing with significant areas of private open land, largely owned by the Catholic Church. Since then, the closure of the Masonic Boys’ School has led to commercial redevelopment north of Clonskeagh Road and former church land adjacent to Bird Avenue and Roebuck Road now has housing. Since 2000, housing development has intensified land use further by building in larger gardens, replacing houses by apartments and adding storeys to properties. This may be resisted by residents objecting to planning applications.
The Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland which was founded in 1992 is also based in Clonskeagh.
The Islamic Cultural Centre in Clonskeagh
There is a mid-20th century Catholic church on Bird Avenue, and the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland and primary school is on Roebuck Road.
St. Kilians Deutsche Schule and the Lycée Français d’Irlande share a “Eurocampus” in Roebuck Road, offering private schooling in a multicultural and multilingual environment, claimed to be unique to Ireland.
The former Vergemount Fever Hospital at Clonskeagh is now a nursing home facility for the elderly.
There are also several green spaces, as well as a large health and fitness club, and fishing takes place on the Dodder.
The population of Clonskeagh is a mixture of long-established families and older people, university students, and some Muslim immigrants, mainly from the Persian Gulf States. Other Muslim children attending the Islamic School arrive by bus from further afield.
The first ever All-Ireland Senior Football Championship final was held in Beech Hill, Clonskeagh, one of the features of the area, on April 29, 1888 on the ground of St. Benburb’s Football Club.
Roebuck House, Clonskeagh (note infill development behind old house)
Isaac Butt Q.C. M.P. who founded the Irish Home Rule Movement lived in a cottage on the junction of Wynnsward Drive and the Clonskeagh Road. Former Irish politician and Cabinet Minister, Seán MacBride, and his mother, Maud Gonne, lived at Roebuck House, near Clonskeagh Green. Current Irish politicians who live in the area are; Eamon Ryan the former Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources and; Mary Harney, former Minister for Health and Children and Tánaiste.
Mount Anville, former house of William Dargan
Mount Merrion (Cnoc Mhuirfean) is an area of Dublin, Ireland. It is roughly 7 kilometres (5 mi) south of the city centre. It is situated on and around a hill of the same name.
Mount Merrion is 3 kilometres (2 mi) southwest of the area known as Merrion and 5.6 km west of Dún Laoghaire. With its close proximity to University College Dublin at Belfield, many students live in the area.
The district is in the Dublin South electoral constituency, and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County (following the abolition of County Dublin as an administrative division of the state).
The main artery through the area is the N11 dual carriageway.
Public transport is provided by Dublin Bus on routes 5, 7b, 7d, 10a, 17, 46a, 46n, 47, 63, 84, 116, 118, 145 and 746.
The nearest DART station to Mount Merrion is Blackrock, while the nearest Luas stations are Kilmacud and Stillorgan on the Green line.
The Aircoach services to Dublin Airport from Greystones calls at South Hill Avenue en route to the airport
Mount Merrion the Old
Quoting from “Mount Merrion the Old”, by Sir Neville Wilkinson:
Between the Convent of Mount Anville, above Dundrum, and the broad high road which leads to Stillorgan, rises the wooded hill of Mount Merrion, the centre of the landscape over Dublin Bay, which gradually becomes defined as the opalescent mists of the Irish sunrise fade away. It is a landscape known to every visitor to Ireland who has stood on deck as the Holyhead mail steamer passes the Kish lightship. Around the wood some 1.2 km² (300 acres) of the richest grazing land in County Dublin slope gently to the high stone wall which surrounds the demesne. To the south and south-west the horizon is bounded by the swelling outline of the Wicklow and Dublin Hills. To the north the long low line of the Mourne Mountains, 100 kilometres (60 mi) and more away, are clearly visible when recent rains have left the washed air clear, while the islands of Lambay and Ireland’s Eye give an added beauty to the sea-scape which lies beyond the wind-blown causeway which leads on and up to the rhododendron covered slopes above the ancient castle of Howth. A double avenue of beech trees shades the roadway which runs, straight as a rule, for a full quarter of a mile to the entrance gates on the Stillorgan Road. This roadway, whose immaculate pebbled surface was raked daily, had a broad border of century old shaven turf, the pride of the Scottish gardener; so tended, brushed and rolled was it in those days that the most careless visitor would have hesitated to sully the velvety perfection of the surface with a profane foot. Yet the gardener, his voice, with its rich Highland brogue quivering with fury at the bare recollection, would tell how a distinguished citizen of Dublin, having ridden to pay his respects to his lordship, had, on departing, cantered gaily down the sacred border, divots flying from his horse’s heels; so that the whole length was scarred and pitted with hoofmarks, as though the plague had passed over it, and it was only after months of patient labour that the unbroken serenity of the surface was restored. 
Mount Merrion House
The lands originally came into the possession of the Norman Fitzwilliam family in the 14th century. The family was originally based in Dundrum having come to Ireland in the year 1210. In the 1900s, the lands were built up as a residential area.
The Fitzwilliams built Merrion Castle on lands which are today the property of the Sisters of Charity and St Mary’s Home and School for the Blind. Merrion features on the 1598 map “A Modern Depiction of Ireland, One of the British Isles” by Abraham Ortelius as “Mergon”.
By 1710 the castle was in such a bad state of repair that Richard, the 5th Viscount Fitzwilliam, selected 100 acres (0.4 km²) on which he built Mount Merrion House, surrounding the house by an 8-foot-high (2.4 m) granite wall. The house was completed in 1711 and served as a new seat by the 5th Viscount Fitzwilliam on the hill at Mount Merrion. The Fitzwilliam family left for England around 1726. Although the family no longer lived in Mount Merrion House, they retained possession of it, and rented the house out.
The next Fitzwilliam to take a major interest in Mount Merrion was Richard, the 7th Viscount, who remained a bachelor all his life. It was he who willed £100,000 to build the Founders Museum in Cambridge, his former university. Prior to his death in 1816, he bequeathed his vast estates to his cousin, the 11th Earl of Pembroke. Mount Merrion was occupied for a time by Lord Herbert of Lea, and later by Sir Neville Wilkinson, from 1903 to 1914.
On first edition OSI Maps (early to mid 19th century) the townland is named ‘Mount Merrion or Callary’, and that name is still in evidenced by Callary Road which runs to the east of Foster Ave.
Deer Park was landscaped by the 5th Viscount Fitzwilliam. The park lands comprise the area behind the site of Mount Merrion House. The park is now open to the public. It was created in 1971 from a collection of open public spaces and some acquisitions of private land. The park contains both sporting facilities (soccer and Gaelic football pitches and Deerpark Tennis Club) and landscaped land for more informal pursuits. Its location and altitude also provide it with a great view of Dublin city towards the north, which is often used by photographers for panoramas and also by developers to assess the impact of development on the cityscape. Crowds also gather in Deerpark to look out at the annual Skyfest fireworks display around St. Patricks Weekend which is sometimes held in Dublin city centre. It can also be a good vantage point for observing the Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, when they are visible in the Dublin area. There is also a view of parts of the Dublin mountains to the south. It is claimed that Strongbow’s white stallion is buried somewhere in Deer Park.
“Perhaps the most interesting remaining part of the 18th century development is the landscape element. The present Deerpark is a public park to the west of the house and included a wooded area which corresponds exactly to the walled woodland area laid out with radial paths shown on the earliest map (1757). The position of the ‘gazebo’ is now a platform with an assembly of cut stone elements lying on the ground, the origin of the material is not known to me. I believe that the radial form of the landscape can still be detected and consider that this may offer scope for an exercise in landscape conservation.” (from historical research, carried out by Denis Cogan, 1999)
Church of St. Therese
The estate at Mount Merrion started to be sold off to property developers Mount Merrion Estates around 1925, as this area of Dublin rapidly built up with suburban housing in mid-20th century. Mount Merrion House itself was sold to the Catholic church in 1936. The main house was converted for use as a Catholic church, and a new church, the Church of St. Therese, was built alongside in 1956. Much of the house was demolished in the late seventies. However, the front block of the house was retained and a new community centre was built onto the back of it. The plans for recent construction work on the community centre originally involved demolition of the house, however the plans were amended due to protests. The stables survive, beside the church. The original granite gateway were salvaged and now stands as the entrance to Willow Park School on the Rock Road (ironically Willow Park’s own original gateway on Booterstown Avenue was later removed). Part of the estate eventually became the prestigious men-only Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club on Appian Way. These lands were part of the Fitzwilliam and later Pembroke Estates. Maps such as John Roque’s (1760) and Barker’s Estate Maps (1762) show much of what is now Deerpark as a formal walled garden and many of the prominent avenues and boundaries of the nearby Mount Merrion House lands form the basis of the present local road network.
See also: “Mount Merrion: 1711-2011”, by local historian, Joe Curtis.
Deerpark now hosts sports such as football and tennis. The football pitches are used by Mount Merrion Youths Football Club and Kilmacud Crokes GAA club. The tennis club, established in 1976, is known as Deerpark Tennis Club. There is also ample space for informal leisure pursuits.
Deerpark Tennis Club
Deerpark Tennis Club
Deerpark Tennis Club is a community tennis club, founded in 1976. The club has six synthetic surface courts, all floodlit. Competitions are organised throughout the year including the Club Championships(August), Team Tennis, Captain’s Prize, Club Nights and Christmas Turkey tournaments.
The club participates in the Dublin Lawn Tennis Council (DLTC) Leagues in the greater Dublin area. These include Winter League, Summer League, Floodlit & Senior Leagues.
Deerpark opened its new clubhouse in August 2010, which is looked after on a day-to-day basis by Head Coach/Centre Manager Ciaran Redmond. The club’s Junior Tennis Programme features coaching, social competitions and league participation.
Mount Merrion Youths Football Club
Mount Merrion Youths Football Club is a community-based club. The club first represented Mount Merrion at the 1974 Community Games. In 2007 the club established its first representative all-girls team. All representatives of the club operate on a voluntary basis. The club proposes to build a flood lit all-weather pitch in the Deer Park. .
In 2005 the club recorded its biggest success to date when its under 18s representatives won the Leinster Football Association Youths’ Cup.
Although there is no club in Mount Merrion, many of the residents play for Kilmacud Crokes. Crokes play their juvenile matches in Deer Park. Local school, Scoil San Treasa, promotes the playing of both football and hurling. Also deer park has recently opened up a new playground.
Notable Residents, Past and Present
Dermot Morgan – comic actor, Father Ted; PV Doyle – Hotelier; Dave Fanning – Radio Broadcaster; Norma Smurfit – once married to businessman Michael Smurfit; Eamon O Cuiv – Politician; Bagatelle – 1970s/80s Pop group; Eamonn De Valera – Politician & co-Founder of the Irish Republ
Kilmacud (Cill Mhic Oda – “The Church of the Son Of Oda”) is a suburban area in Dublin in the local authority area of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.
Kilmacud is the area west of Stillorgan. In essence, it is a collection of middle-class housing estates built in the 1950s by a range of small private construction companies to cater for the growing market of those able to raise mortgages of £3,000 approx to buy their own homes. Its focus is the ‘Redesdale Garden Estate’, drawing its name from the local mansion—now St. Anne’s former girls’ reform school—of the British right-wing politician Lord Redesdale, whose daughters the Mitford sisters had achieved celebrity and notoriety in British society. Many other houses and apartments have been built in the area since the 1950s.
Kilmacud is north of Sandyford, east of Dundrum and south of Goatstown. The west end of the Lower Kilmacud Road starts in Goatstown, heading in a southerly direction. It then goes southeast through what appears to be a narrow shortcut and on out to the end of Drummartin Road and turns east. From there it continues eastwards through to the Stillorgan dual carriageway or N11. In total, it is about 2.6 kilometres or 1.6 miles long. The Upper Kilmacud Road starts in Dundrum and going uphill initially it continues eastward, levels off, and continues until a sharp corner brings it northward and downhill. It joins the Lower Kilmacud Road close to St. Laurence’s Boys School. It is about 2.9 kilometres or 1.8 miles long.
The difference between Kilmacud and Stillorgan is somewhat ambiguous. For example Kilmacud Crokes GAA club is located in Stillorgan and Stillorgan’s Roman Catholic parish is called Kilmacud. Kilmacud can be described as the area between and immediately around the Upper and Lower Kilmacud Roads. A now gone placename sign for Stillorgan stood up until the 1970s near Beaufield Park, which is on the section of the Lower Kilmacud Road running between the shops near St. Laurence’s Church, and the Stillorgan Shopping Centre. This would have been on the western edge of the Stillorgan, and many of the existing housing estates mentioned earlier would not have been in place prior to the 1950s, so it would have marked the beginnings of a built-up area. The area now referred to as Kilmacud would have been on the western side of the sign, with the Chapel of SS Laurence and Cuthbert close by. This was long before the current church dedicated just to St. Laurence O’Toole, which opened in 1969.
Kilmacud Crokes is a major G.A.A. club whose clubhouse, Glenalbyn is located directly opposite the Stillorgan shopping centre.
Kilmacud’s primary schools are Scoil Lorcán Naofa (St. Laurence’s, named for the one time archbishop of Dublin Laurence O’Toole), St Raphaela’s Primary School and Mount Anville National School, the secondary schools are St. Benildus College, Mount Anville Secondary School and St. Raphaelas School.
The LUAS light-rail system runs south of Kilmacud and has two stations in the area, Stillorgan and Kilmacud, the former being on the edge of the Sandyford Industrial Estate and beside the main reservoir. The Kilmacud stop is south of the grounds of St. Benildus College.
Stillorgan (Irish: Stigh Lorgan, also Stigh Lorcáin and previously Tigh Lorcáin or Teach Lorcáin), formerly a village in its own right, is now a suburban area of Dublin in Ireland. Stillorgan is located in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, and contains many housing estates, shops and other facilities, with the old village centre still present. Stillorgan neighbours other southside districts such as Kilmacud, Mount Merrion, Sandyford, Leopardstown, Dundrum, Blackrock, Goatstown and Foxrock.
The suburban region defined as the Stillorgan Electoral Area of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown had a population of 19,840 at the 2006 census.
It is popularly believed that the name Stillorgan is either a Danish or Anglo Norman corruption of Teach Lorcan, ‘the house or church of Lorcan (Laurence)’, possibly signifying St. Laurence O’Toole. Another belief is that it is named after a Danish or Irish chief of a similar name: what may have been his burial chamber was discovered in Stillorgan Park in 1716. The original Celtic name for Stillorgan was Athnakill – ‘Place of the Church’.
The local Roman Catholic parish church of St. Laurence is usually presumed to be named after St. Laurence O’Toole, or Lorcán Ua Tuathail, who was born at Castledermot, County Kildare in 1128, died at Eu, Normandy, France, on November , and was canonized in 1225 by Pope Honorius. He was one of four sons of an O’Byrne princess and Murtagh O’Tuathail, King of the Ui Muirdeaigh III.
The N11 road leads out from the city, passing through Stillorgan, towards the major commuter town of Bray. It has bypassed Stillorgan centre since the mid 1970s when the Stillorgan Bypass was opened to the east. The N11 hosts the ‘Stillorgan Bus Corridor’ (QBC) which runs along the N11 in both directions from St. Stephen’s Green to Foxrock. Stillorgan is a major bus interchange and the Stillorgan QBC is the most heavily used in Ireland, featuring the busiest and most frequent bus route, the 46A to Dún Laoghaire. Aircoach provides a direct link to the Dublin Airport via Dublin city centre.
Stillorgan also has a station on the Luas green line, next to the reservoir and Sandyford Industrial Estate. It has a commuter bus link to the shopping centre. The green line is 20 km in length with 22 stops and links Bride’s Glen and St Stephen’s Green.
Stillorgan railway station opened on 10 July 1854, closed for goods traffic in 1937 and finally closed altogether on 1 January 1959.
60 houses were built at Beaufield Park in the 1940s
The Merville Estate was built in the 1950s on land belonging to the Jolly family dairy farm.
St Laurence’s Park were completed in October 1954.
The Stillorgan Bowl opened in December 1963, the first bowling alley in Ireland.
The first shopping centre to be built in Ireland opened in Stillorgan in 1966. It was opened by Dickey Rock. It had 3 supermarkets, Powers, Liptons and Quinnsworth. To enable the construction of the centre, The road in front of the shopping centre was completely lined with cottages built during the early 19th century and were knocked down. They extended from the Christian Brothers’ school Oatlands College to the end of the Dublin Road and up the Lower Kilmacud road. The rubble was used to fill in and level the lands that are now Pairc De Burca, the playing field of Kilmacud Crokes. Discussions have been ongoing for many years about expanding and updating the centre. It was planned to be redeveloped by Treasury Holdings in 2008. The ‘Blakes’/’Burn Nightclub’ site has also planning permission for a multi-story apartment complex with some commercial units. The Leisureplex area to the Library is also due to be redeveloped.
Places of interest
The location of Stillorgan Castle became the House of St John of God when the Hospitaller Order moved there in 1883, it is now a major psychiatric hospital.
One of the most prominent architectural features is the large 18th century obelisk designed by Edward Lovett Pearce for the second Viscount Allen; Pearce resided in Stillorgan in a house known as The Grove, which was demolished to make way for Stillorgan Bowl (now LeisurePlex).
The present St. Brigid’s Church of Ireland was built in 1706 on the site of an earlier church, thought to have been linked to St. Brigid’s Monastery in Kildare. The current Rector is Rev. Ian Gallagher.
A large open reservoir, called Stillorgan Reservoir, is situated near the Sandyford Industrial Estate. The water is piped from the Vartry Reservoir near Roundwood in County Wicklow.
Stillorgan’s oldest pub is Bolands, latterly styled Bolands on the Hill, now McGowan’s. In its older manifestation it was a local drinking refuge of many South Dublin writers, among them Brian O Nuallain (Myles na gCopaleen) and Maurice Walsh.
The first Ormonde Cinema was built and opened in 1954, seating 980 people with a large car park to the side. It was completely demolished in 1978, the site being occupied by the AIB Bank at Stillorgan Plaza. The new Ormonde Cinema opened in the early 1980s as a smaller multi screen venue.
Stillorgan Reservoir was built in the 19th century as part of Dublin Corporation’s waterworks on the lands of an 18th century house called Rockland, later known as Clonmore
Henry Darley’s brewery 1800’s. It was located what is now The Grange, Brewery Road.
Cullen’s was a grocery shop as well as a pub in the 1920s and 1930s. It is now the site of the Stillorgan Orchard which was tatted in the 1980s. It was previously called The Stillorgan Inn.
The largest properties are listed in Samuel Lewis’ 1837 ‘Topographical Dictionary of Ireland’:
Stillorgan House (J Verschoyle Esq) Carysfort House (Rt Hon W Saurin)
Stillorgan Abbey (A R Black ) Obelisk Park (H Perry)
Mount Eagle (ND Grady) (became Stillorgan Castle)
Thornhill (J George) Carysfort Lodge (T Goold)
Stillorgan Park (J Busby) Beaufield (H Darley) Demolished 1989.
Oatlands (M Pollock) Demolished 1968. The Grove (J Hughes) (became Tigh Lorcain)
Woodview (GW Boileau) Riversdale (JW Barlow) demolished 1998.
Stillorgan (R Guiness) Dunstaffnage Lodge ( R H Sheehan)
Talbot Lodge (Capt Newenham) Limeville ( H B Reeves)
Rose Hill (Mrs Drevar) Maryville (L H Thomas) Oakley Park (R Everard)
Jane Ville ( Mrs Wilson) (became Glenalbyn) Elm Grove (Mrs Richards)
Suffolk family of Wolverston settled here in 16th century .
Sir Joshua Allen his son John was created Baron Allen of Stillorgan and Viscount Allen in Co. Kildare. He married the sister of Robert, the Earl of Kildare
The famous artist William Orpen who on 27 November 1878 was born into an affluent professional and Protestant family in a house called Oriel on Grove Avenue. He became a highly successful and fashionable portrait painter, depicting Irish genre subjects; also scenes from the Western Front in World War I. He died in 1931, aged 52.
Dermot Morgan attended school at Oatlands College and was a teacher at the Stillorgan Tech, now known as the Stillorgan College of Further Education.
Primary and secondary schools
Mount Anville (Girls/Catholic)
Oatlands College (Mixed/Catholic)
St. Benildus College (Boys/Catholic)
St. Brigid’s (Mixed, Church of Ireland)
St. Laurence’s (Boys/Catholic)
St. Raphaelas School (Girls/Catholic)
Stillorgan College of Further Education.
Stillorgan is home to the Kilmacud Crokes Gaelic Athletic Association club, whose clubhouse and grounds, Glenalbyn, are located directly opposite the shopping centre. It is also home to Leinster Senior League team Stillorgan Lakelands FC, who play out of St. Benildus College, as well as Stillorgan rugby club.
The Stillorgan Ward is one of six wards in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. A map showing the composition of Stillorgan electoral area among the six in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown can be seen at the county council website. The Ward includes Clonskeagh, Mount Merrion, Kilmacud, Stillorgan, Leopardstown and Foxrock.
Following the 2009 local elections there are 4 Councillors:
Notable individuals who lived in the area covered by the Stillorgan Ward include:
Isaac Butt MP, lived and died in Clonskeagh
Samuel Beckett, playwright and Nobel laureate, lived in Foxrock
Sir Nevile Wilkinson, creator of Titania’s Palace and Ulster King at Arms – lived in Mount Merrion
John Foster, 1st Baron Oriel – speaker of the Irish House of Commons – lived in Clonskeagh
Chief Baron Christopher Palles – a founder of the National University of Ireland – lived in Clonskeagh
Sir James Comyn – English High Court judge – lived in Stillorgan
Foxrock (Carraig an tSionnaigh) is a suburb of Dublin, Ireland. It is in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, in the postal district of Dublin 18 and in the parish of Foxrock.
The suburb of Foxrock was developed by William and John Bentley and Edward and Anthony Fox, who, in 1859, leased the lands of the Foxrock Estate from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and Richard Whately, the C of I Archbishop of Dublin, with the aim of creating an affluent garden suburb.
The development was facilitated by the existence of the Harcourt Street railway line, built in 1854, that put Dublin City within commuting distance. The developers donated a site to the Dublin Wicklow and Wexford Railway Company for Foxrock railway station, which opened in 1861. In 1862, the following advertisement was placed in The Irish Times:
“Beautiful building sites for mansions and pretty villas – Foxrock estate. The improvements recently made on this property, and still progressing, together with its natural attractions render these sites unrivalled for suburban residences. The scenery (green and mountain) from Brighton Road just finished, leading from the hotel at Foxrock station to Carrickmines, is magnificent. The land, being undulating, affords perfectly sheltered positions on Torquay Road, to the railway station at Stillorgan and Foxrock, as well as others elevated and more bracing. The rents required are exceedingly moderate: leases for 900 years are granted. Bricks, stones, lime and sand from the estate are sold at reduced prices to tenants. Stage coaches and omnibuses ply regularly between Foxrock station and Kingstown. Fare 3 pence and 4 pence. There is cheap and excellent shopping at Foxrock market. The railway subscription only £7 per annum. Apply to W.W. Bentley, Foxrock, or Bentley and Son, 110 College Green.”
The racecourse was completed in 1888, while the golf club opened in 1898.
Due to a slower than expected initial take-up of lots, the founder/developers of Foxrock were bankrupted and did not live to see its successful development into a wealthy suburb.
The three main roads of the original development of Foxrock remain Brighton, Torquay and Westminster Roads.
The boundaries of Foxrock as used by An Post extend east to take in the lands to the west of Clonkeen Road, Deansgrange Cemetery as far as Newtownpark Avenue. The N11 road divides new and old Foxrock.
Foxrock borders the suburbs of Blackrock, Cabinteely, Carrickmines, Deansgrange and Leopardstown.
Local landmark, Findlaters Grocery Store opened in 1904 (centre) is now the Gables wine bar & restaurant.
Leopardstown racecourse is located at Foxrock and the track is the only one remaining in the greater metropolitan area. In the racing industry, it ranks in importance as second only to The Curragh in County Kildare. The racecourse is also home to a golf course, and a stream runs along its southern boundary.
Foxrock has a number of primary schools and one secondary school – Loreto Convent, Foxrock for girls.
The Harcourt Street railway line from central Dublin’s Harcourt Street to Bray passed through Foxrock. A temporary platform opened in 1859 followed by the station on 1 August 1861, finally closing on 1 January 1959. The original passenger entrance remains at the entrance to Westwood.
However, the route has been reopened as the Luas Green Line light rail system, but deviates from the old railway line at Sandyford, some 3 km (1.9 mi) short of Foxrock. The 2011 extension of the Green Line by-passed Foxrock because houses were built on a section of the old track at Foxrock in the late 1990s. The closest stop to Foxrock is Carrickmines, where the line rejoins the old railway route.
Dublin Bus high frequency service 46A links Foxrock Church with the City Centre.
The Aircoach Greystones service to Dublin Airport stops at Foxrock Church en route to the airport.
Samuel Beckett was born in 1906 in Cooldrinagh, on Kerrymount Ave.
Singer Joe Dolan had a house in Tresillian estate in Foxrock.
Fictional character Ross O’Carroll-Kelly lived in Foxrock.
Sir Horace Plunkett, agricultural reformer, whose house was burnt down in 1923 by the IRA during the Irish civil war.
Muse bassist Christopher Wolstenholme moved to Foxrock with his family in April 2010.
Miriam O’Callaghan grew up in Foxrock.
Several members of The Thrills went to school in Foxrock
Deansgrange (Irish: Gráinseach an Déin, meaning “The Dean’s Grange”) in is a suburban area of South Dublin, centered around a crossroads. The area shares the name Clonkeen (Irish: Cluain Chaoin, meaning “Beautiful Meadow”). The area further east of Deansgrange is known as “Kill of the Grange” (i.e. “Church of the Grange”: Grange Church (now in ruins)).
Since early medieval times the area was owned by the Augustinians, and used as a grange, giving rise to the medieval civil parish of Kill, in the half-barony of Rathdown. The Ordnance Survey Ireland map 1837–1842 shows a “Grange Church” (now in ruins, the modern housing estate surrounding it is called Kill Abbey), “Kill Abbey” (still existing), “Grange House” (demolished with the building of the South Park estate), and “Glebe House” (still existing). Deansgrange was a townland of Kill Parish. Presumably the dean of the grange lived in Grange House, and so the area became known as “the Dean’s Grange”, and then simply, Deansgrange.
The crossroads are the commercial centre for the surrounding low density housing estates, with a number of commercial outlets. The R827 road runs roughly north-south through Deansgrange from Blackrock to Cabinteely. South of the crossroads is Clonkeen Road leading to Clonkeen College, while north is Deansgrange Road leading to Deans Grange Cemetery. Kill Lane runs roughly east (to Baker’s Corner crossroads and Kill of the Grange) and west (to Foxrock).
Deans Grange Cemetery
Deansgrange Cemetery is, together with Glasnevin and Mount Jerome, one of the largest cemeteries in Dublin and is the burial place of many famous people, including Flann O’Brien, Count John McCormack, Frank O’Connor, Eamon Martin, Seán Lemass, Dermot Morgan, and the Nobel Laureate Ernest Walton.
Cabinteely (Cábán tSíle – “Sheila’s Cabin”) is a south-eastern suburb of Dublin in Ireland, in the administrative county of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.
There is a prehistoric burial tomb known as Brennanstown Portal Tomb, Glendruid cromlech/dolmen, or The Druids’ Altar near Cabinteely.
Excavations between 1957 and 1999 some 700m south-east of Cabinteely suggests that the area was of “considerable status and importance” from the 6th-7th centuries, with possible evidence of a church, ancillary buildings, possible workshops and cemetery.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that Cabinteely grew up around a tavern (Irish: Cabán tSíle, meaning “Sheila’s Cabin”) located on crossroads on the main road linking Dublin with the South.
Tully Celtic cross
Cabinteely sits at the meeting point of the three medieval civil parishes of Tully, Kill and Killiney, in the half-barony of Rathdown. The ruins of Kill Abbey/Grange Church are near Deansgrange. The modern suburb of Cabinteely is still split between these civil parishes. The ruined 9th century Tully Church and graveyard lies within the modern parish of Cabinteely at Laughanstown. Two high crosses from the 12th century stand in nearby fields, and a wedge tomb, all protected as National Monuments (#216).
It is likely the modern Church of Ireland parish of Tullow, with a church nearby in Foxrock, is related to that civil parish of Tully. Similarly the modern Church of Ireland parish of Kill has a church in Deansgrange.
Cabinteely house was built in 1769 for Robert Nugent, Lord Clare, and the surrounding demesne wall still mostly exists today (running along the Old Bray Road, Brennanstown Road, and Cornelscourt Hill).
It later passed into the possession of the O’Byrne family of Wicklow, who were prominent in Cabinteely since the 1660s (the family originally lived in Marlfield House). William Richard O’Byrne (1823–1896), MP and author of the Naval Biographical Dictionary, owned and lived in Cabinteely House. Joseph McGrath purchased the house in 1933. Cabinteely House finally passed into possession of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in 1984.
Cabinteely was described in the 1837 book, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, as having “several handsome seats [houses]…adorned with thriving plantations and presents many natural beauties”.
The Ordnance Survey Ireland map 1837-1842 shows Cabinteely Village with “Post Office, R.C. Church, and Police Barrack”. The townland of Cabinteely at that time only included Cabinteely Demesne and Marlfield House (today in the St. Gabriels estate), whereas the modern suburb now includes neighbouring townlands such as Rochestown, Kilbogget, Brennanstown, and Laughanstown.
The Ordnance Survey Ireland map 1888-1913 shows Cabinteely Village with “P.O., Presbytery, St.Brigid’s R.C. Church, Smithy, Constab. Bk., Court Ho., Dispy.” among others, and Dublin Corporation’s watermain running directly through the Village.
Cabinteely barracks was attacked numerous times during the civil war.
Cabinteely sits on the crossroads of Johnstown Road/Brennanstown Road and the Old Bray Road. The Stillorgan Dual Carriageway (N11) runs parallel to the Old Bray Road and directly through the suburb, and is one the major roads linking Dublin with the South.
The R827 road runs from Blackrock and terminates in Cabinteely.
Much of Cabinteely is parkland (Cabinteely Park, Kilbogget Park) or open countryside (around Laughanstown/Brennanstown).
Cabinteely borders the suburbs Ballybrack, Carrickmines, Cherrywood, Cornelscourt, Deansgrange, Foxrock, Johnstown, Killiney and Loughlinstown.
Under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 Cabinteely is split between the Dáil constituencies of Dún Laoghaire and Dublin South. For local elections, it is divided between the Local Electoral Areas of Ballybrack, Dún Laoghaire and Stillorgan. Cabinteely is split between the postal districts of Dublin 18 and Co.Dublin.
The Luas Green Line light rail system, passes close to Cabinteely with a stop at Carrickmines (about 30 minutes walk to Cabinteely), with a journey time of less than 40 minutes to Dublin City Centre. There is a closer stop at Brennanstown (about 20 minutes walk from Cabinteely), but this station has never opened due to lack of development (there are only fields surrounding the station)
Several Dublin Bus routes serve Cabinteely. The Aircoach Greystones route also stops at Cabinteely cross. Finnegan’s operate a bus service from Bray DART station to the Luas station in Sandyford, via Cabinteely.
Cornelscourt shopping centre and “The Park” shopping centre also serve the area.
Cabinteely’s Carnegie library was opened in 1912, and features a tiled roof, copper cupola and leaded windows.
St.Brigid’s Catholic Church is in the Archdiocese of Dublin, and was opened on 10 October 1836. The church is dedicated to St. Brigid, who has a long association with the area.
Cabinteely Park spans 45 hectares, and includes a children’s playground. It is a good place to look for rare birds such as the Great Spotted Woodpecker. Kilbogget Park hosts rugby, soccer, gaelic clubs and pitches, as well as a recreational area with floodlit car parking & paths.
Kilbogget House, a large mostly Georgian house in Shrewsbury Wood received tax deductible status in 2005 and is open, free of charge to the public in January, May and September. Cabinteely House and outbuildings are owned by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, and is often open for cultural events and historical tours.
The local soccer teams, Cabinteely F.C. and Park Celtic F.C., are located in Kilbogget Park and Cabinteely Park respectively.
There are two rugby clubs: St.Brigid’s Rugby Club, and Seapoint RFC. The latter is a senior All Ireland League club and are located in Kilbogget Park.
The local Gaelic Athletic Association club is St.Francis Gaels Cabinteely GAA. Geraldines P.Morans is another local GAA club which has its home pitches nearby at Cornelscourt.
Amy Huberman, actress, writer and wife of Brian O’Driscoll, grew up in Cabinteely.
Mary Mitchell O’Connor, TD for the Dún Laoghaire constituency lives in Cabinteely.
Eoin Ó Broin, political theorist and politician, is from Cabinteely.
Déirdre de Búrca, politician, went to school in Cabinteely.
John Fitzgerald, footballer, is from Cabinteely.
Peter Farrell, footballer, began playing football with the Cabinteely Schoolboys.
William Kenny, politician, judge and Liberal Unionist politician, lived in Marlfield House.
George Lee, economist, journalist, television and radio presenter, and former Fine Gael politician, lives in Cabinteely.
Joseph McGrath, politician and founder of the Irish Hospitals’ Sweepstake, owned and lived in Cabinteely House.
Andy Keogh, footballer, began playing football with Cabinteely F.C..
Joanne King, actress, went to school in Cabinteely.
Glenn Quinn, actor, grew up in Cabinteely.
Diarmuid Martin, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland, was curate of Cabinteely Parish in 1973-74.
Land rezoning in Cabinteely was the subject of investigation under the Mahon Tribunal.
The St. John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland has a division based in Cabinteely