Sandycove & Glasthule
Sandycove (Cuas an Ghainimh) is a coastal community located just south of Dun Laoghaire town.
Sandycove Martello Tower
Sandycove Martello Tower was constructed c.1806 as part of a chain of coastal defences against a possible French invasion.
Sandycove Martello Tower was briefly the residence of James Joyce, and served as his inspiration for the opening scene of Ulysses.
The tower now hosts a small Joycean museum, open in summer time. Bloomsday is celebrated in Sandycove in Joyce’s honour on the 16th of June every year.
The tower was cleverly mimicked in the C20th Avant Garde style by the adjacent seafront residence of eminent architect Michael Scott.
The Forty Foot, an open-air seawater pool named after the Fortieth Foot Regiment who manned the Tower until 1904, was long a male-only nudist bathing enclave, but since “the Forty Foot Gentlemen” failed to repel a series of feminist invasions c.1980, has been declared open to both sexes after 9:00 am (“Togs Must Be Worn“). Many masochists swim here every morning, and even more indulge in a traditional Christmas Day and / or New Year’s Day dip.
Glasthule (Glas Tuathail – “Toole’s Streamlet”), another middle-class suburban community, is the main setting for Jamie O’Neill‘s 2001 novel At Swim, Two Boys.
Sandycove & Glasthule Railway Station opened in 1855. It was bombed by a confused Luftwaffe crew on 20 December 1940, causing three injuries.
Sandycove and Glasthule share an attractive main street.
Glenageary & Sallynoggin
Glenageary (Gleann na gCaorach – “Glen of the Sheep”) is a suburban area roughly corresponding to the old Church of Ireland / Civil parish of the same name, which also included most of the districts now known as Sallynoggin and Rochestown. The Roman Catholic Parish of Sallynoggin/Glenageary covers all of Sallynoggin, Rochestown and much of Upper Glenageary.
Like much of the southern County Dublin until the late 1940s, Glenageary consisted mostly of large manor estates. Since then most of the Big Houses have been demolished, and their grounds extensively redeveloped as low density housing developments, reulting in a quiet middle-class residential area with shops and some amenities in places.
St Paul’s church (CoI) was opened in 1868.