Killiney & Ballybrack
Killiney is an extremely exclusive outer suburb with a hilltop park and a long pebble beach around a beautiful bay, overlooked by some semi-detached castles. The view alone is worth the DART trip to Bray.
Ballybrack (Baile Breac – “Speckled Town”) is effectively the south end of Killiney, but nowadays lacks that area’s exclusive social cachet. Until quite recently it was a semi-rural district dotted with large houses, while small cottages such as those on Mountain View Road were the traditional homes of labourers and gardeners for the big properties. Most of its former green fields are now occupied by modern housing estates.
Ballybrack Dolmen / Quoit / Portal Tomb, located bizzarely in the green area of a housing estate called Cromlech Fields, is thought to be about 3000 years old, and is covered in grafitti.
St. Mathias church (CoI), inaugurated in 1835, still manages to retain something of a bucolic air.
Ss. Alphonsus & Columba church (RC), built c.1860, has a historically significant organ.
Michael Davitt (1846-1906), the Mayo-born, Lancashire-educated, one-armed founder of the Irish National Land League, lived for several years with his sister Sabina at Martello Lodge, Military Road, and after his marriage to his American wife Mary (née Yore) at Roselawn Cottage, 9 Shanganagh Tce, Military Road, presented to them by grateful supporters and long known as the Land League Cottage (it is now called Rose Lawn). The happiest period of his life is said to be that of his residence there with Mary and their children until 1895, when they moved to London; after their return to Ireland in 1899, they lived in nearby Dalkey.