The Upper River Shannon Lakes
Lough Allen (Loch Aillionn) is a lake on the River Shannon in northeastern Connacht, Ireland. Most of the lake is in County Leitrim, with a smaller part in County Roscommon. The lake lies to the south of the River Shannon’s source, near the Iron Mountains, and is the uppermost of the three main lakes on the river. The other two, Lough Ree and Lough Derg are much further to the south.
The lake is shaped like an upturned isosceles triangle. The Shannon enters the lake at the wider northern end and leaves the lake at the narrow southern end. Other rivers that feed the lake include the Diffagher (northwest), the Yellow (northeast), the Stoney (east) and the Arigna (southwest).
The R280 regional road skirts the west side of the lake, while the R207 follows the east bank, from Ballinagleragh to Drumshanbo. The R200 road is on the north side of the lake, traveling west from Dowra to Drumkeeran. The Iron Mountains (Slíabh an Íariann) lie to the east and west of Lough Allen.
Some claims have been recently made that volumes of oil and gas lie beneath the lake and the Allen basin
Lough Boderg & Lough Bofin
Lough Boderg and Lough Bofin are situated adjacent to one another, and are separated by the Derrycarne Narrows. Lough Boderg means ‘the Lake of the Red Cow’, and Lough Bofin means ‘the Lake of the White Cow’.
There is a story associated with how the lakes got their names. Once upon a time, in the places we now call Boderg and Bofin, a mermaid was found in the water and taken to a nearby farmhouse.
The people were decent and did her no harm, and in return for their kindness the mermaid began to tell fortunes. One of the fortunes she told them was that if they put her back in the water on the May Eve, which was shortly due, they would be handsomely repaid the following year on the same day.
The people being decent, they took her back to the water and bade her goodbye. Exactly one year later they returned to the very same spot and, to their astonishment, out of the water came two splendid cows, one red and one white.
quare – n 1798 the local rebels defeated the army of General Lake on the shores of Lough Bofin as part of the 1798 rebellion.
Lough Bofin was also the site of a ‘Pleasure House’ with a man-made beach, only accessible to people from the Anglo-Irish Protestant class. This was later burned down. The Protestant church, in the centre of the village, was also attacked at this time.